The Island Republic of Mark
“Lets change the world”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Location: the South Pacific
Regional Influence: Newcomer
The Island Republic of Mark is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, renowned for its museums and concert halls, punitive income tax rates, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, democratic population of 20.905 billion Markians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Environment, Education, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Mark City. The average income tax rate is 67.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The very strong Markian economy, worth a remarkable 1,058 trillion Punts a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 50,637 Punts, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Mark successfully hosted the the South Pacific Olympics, the government seizes all major gold finds, hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Mark's many privately-owned prisons, and employers may fire workers without giving any reason. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Mark's national animal is the Mighty Dog, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Mark was endorsed by The Incorporated States of Osheiga.
- : Mark was endorsed by The Federation of Northern Estrian Islands.
- : Mark's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Mark was endorsed by The Mighty Foundation of Concrete Slab.
- : Mark was endorsed by The 🍪 Tropical Biscuit Paradise of Aumeltopia.
- : Mark was endorsed by The Republic of JavaSiege.
- : Mark was endorsed by The Empress Queen Princess Lady of PenguinPies.
- : Mark's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Mark was endorsed by The Federation of Nyxonia.
- : Mark was endorsed by The Weebs of Wehraboos.
Endorsements Received: 24 » Beblahbleblo, Erinor, Land Without Shrimp, Holy Free, Bleakfoot, Nowa Europa, Qvait, Holota, Bawkie, Lyland, Westenhald, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Anatasha, Amerion, Belschaft, Tepertopia, Wehraboos, Nyxonia, PenguinPies, JavaSiege, Aumeltopia, Concrete Slab, Northern Estrian Islands, and Osheiga.