The Wooded Land of Konar
“We are the forest, and the forest are we.”
|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Location: The North Pacific
Regional Influence: Sprat
The Wooded Land of Konar is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Bluie with an even hand, and renowned for its smutty television, anti-smoking policies, and digital currency. The hard-nosed, humorless population of 10.849 billion Konarians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The large, corrupt, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Emswe. The average income tax rate is 85.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Konarian economy, worth a remarkable 1,488 trillion chukas a year, is quite specialized and mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Beef-Based Agriculture, Book Publishing, and Woodchip Exports. Black market activity is frequent. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 137,183 chukas, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.6 times as much as the poorest.
Escalators are avoided at all costs, schoolchildren must pass a six-month Ethics and Safety Committee Assessment before they are allowed to mix baking soda and vinegar, everyone suspects that everyone else is a terrorist, and autocrats are persona non grata. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Konar's national animal is the tersik, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Atheism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Konar was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Advanced Law Enforcement.
- : Following new legislation in Konar, autocrats are persona non grata.
- : Following new legislation in Konar, everyone suspects that everyone else is a terrorist.
- : Following new legislation in Konar, schoolchildren must pass a six-month Ethics and Safety Committee Assessment before they are allowed to mix baking soda and vinegar.
- : Following new legislation in Konar, escalators are avoided at all costs.
- : Following new legislation in Konar, walking to the local pizza parlour earns a lovely sports participation ribbon.
- : Konar lodged a message on the The North Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Konar resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Konar was endorsed by The Floor Gang of Free Source.
- : Konar was endorsed by The Dominion of Lower Cotiandur.