The Republic of Shay Van Buren
“Stand on my right.”
|Category: Corporate Police State|
Regional Influence: Shoeshiner
The Republic of Shay Van Buren is a gargantuan, orderly nation, renowned for its frequent executions. The hard-working, cynical population of 12.215 billion Shay Van Burenians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The medium-sized, pro-business, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Education, Industry, and Welfare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 25.9%.
The powerhouse Shay Van Burenian economy, worth 705 trillion dollars a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Gambling, Information Technology, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 57,776 dollars, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 218,374 per year while the poor average 10,635, a ratio of 20.5 to 1.
A government program is underway to revitalize Shay Van Buren's beaches, citizens select which government department gets their income tax dollars each year, the government is avowedly atheist, and the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller. Crime is moderate. Shay Van Buren's national animal is the eagle, which can occasionally be seen dodging aircraft in the nation's cities.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Shay Van Buren's influence in Topid rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Shay Van Buren's influence in Topid rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Shay Van Buren's influence in Topid rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Shay Van Buren's influence in Topid rose from "Zero" to "Nipper".
- : Shay Van Buren relocated from Lazarus to Topid.
- : Shay Van Buren was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Shay Van Buren ceased to exist in Topid.
- : Shay Van Buren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Zombies, Most Zombified, and Most Dead.
- : Shay Van Buren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Survivors.
- : Shay Van Buren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Gambling Industry.