The People's Republic of Vostokian Union
“Prosperity through obedience”
|Category: Iron Fist Consumerists|
Regional Influence: Sprat
The People's Republic of Vostokian Union is a huge, efficient nation, notable for its public floggings, frequent executions, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 214 million Vostokians are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Industry, and Defense. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 36.7%.
The frighteningly efficient Vostokian Unionian economy, worth 22.1 trillion Vostoks a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Beef-Based Agriculture, Retail, and Tourism. Black market activity is notable. Average income is an impressive 103,336 Vostoks, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 534,524 per year while the poor average 10,853, a ratio of 49.2 to 1.
Schoolchildren are arrested for possessing sidewalk chalk without a permit, skyscrapers get built in just days, new government leaflets tell coeliac children to eat more crisps, and public shaming has become the favoured form of punishment. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Vostokian Union's national animal is the Wolf.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Vostokian Union was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Trout Fishing Sector, Largest Retail Industry, and Most Conservative and the Top 10% for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, public shaming has become the favoured form of punishment.
- : Vostokian Union voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Protecting the Rights of Labour Unions".
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, new government leaflets tell coeliac children to eat more crisps.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, skyscrapers get built in just days.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, schoolchildren are arrested for possessing sidewalk chalk without a permit.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, open-casket funerals are avoided at all cost.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, cleaners are very careful not to bump into the big red button on Leader's desk.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, several citizens have complained about scientists abducting their pets for experimentation.
- : Following new legislation in Vostokian Union, would-be emigrants are told "abandon all hope all ye who would exit here".
Endorsements Received: 112 » Ausvelt, Meropis, Invernessia, Yahlia, Saint Domingo, Walfo, The Reunited Yugoslavs, North of Americas, Abject Ludicrosity, Rivierenland, Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire, St Scarlett, The Champions League, Thracia Republic, Othenhiem, The Seven Provinces, Dark Matter, Arlanisa, Imperium Germaniae, Savinecross, Irminsulia, Estoniia, Regnum Italiae, The New Nordic Union, The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth, Fjarrej, Pavaludia, GanymedEuropa, Northern German Federation, Shaor, Bathera, Jim the Baptist, Destyntine, Maritzal, Wombelland, Super Happy Land, South St Maarten, Kardjali, Lieges, Imperium Anglorum, Nardin, Leranditale, Outer Sparta, Greater Icelandia, Brakanistan, Francitanie, Leszno, Ukallingrad, Weltbeherrschung, Yoannes, and 62 others.Ostermarch, Dorenstad, Nuweland, Wessex and Cornwall, Quentenia, Socialist Balkans, Germany Third Reich, Dizgovzy, An Clar, Owlograd, Soviet Taoistan, Skorvalia, Mallesia, Eritei, Prussian-Union, Ashckar, Cytadela, The Mongol Plain, Boldia, Durlia, United Engiresco, Arorska, New Touraine, Umeria, Seims, Greater Tomland, Martelon, Falvaard, Nea Europa, Terdiatlans, Canovium, Parliamentary Laramidia, Nevelja, The Fair Republic, Pilipinas and Malaya, Deasulaidh, Evergreen Keys, Estellan, Cotee, Purgatio, Republic of Satherland, Enway, Migurson, Rawando, Grodisze, Weeddialvon, Someseni, The New Mexican Confederation, Vieternozsk, Apabeossie, Saiwania, The States of Texas and Arkansas, Zarulia, Amicities, Viktorias, Dauershire, Anskerdank, Leiningerland, Trixeland, Kanokla, Belmoren, and The Young Ur.