The Confederacy of Free Nations

WA Delegate (non-executive): The United Kingdom of Penguania and Antarctica (elected )

Founder: The Protectorate of Confederacy of Free Nations

Last WA Update:

Most Influential: 55th Most World Assembly Endorsements: 124th Most Nations: 449th+31
Most Cultured: 788th Most Inclusive: 881st Largest Black Market: 938th Most Compassionate Citizens: 1,074th Nicest Citizens: 1,080th Most Beautiful Environments: 1,092nd Most Advanced Public Transport: 1,137th Best Weather: 1,168th Highest Foreign Aid Spending: 1,214th Smartest Citizens: 1,214th Most Rebellious Youth: 1,224th Largest Welfare Programs: 1,238th Most Advanced Public Education: 1,335th Most Extensive Public Healthcare: 1,347th Highest Poor Incomes: 1,373rd Most Eco-Friendly Governments: 1,373rd Most Scientifically Advanced: 1,409th Largest Information Technology Sector: 1,428th Highest Economic Output: 1,492nd Largest Governments: 1,589th Healthiest Citizens: 1,620th Most Cheerful Citizens: 1,653rd Lowest Crime Rates: 1,763rd Most Popular Tourist Destinations: 1,763rd Most Valuable International Artwork: 1,778th Largest Publishing Industry: 1,830th Most Advanced Defense Forces: 1,923rd Highest Average Incomes: 1,979th Most Subsidized Industry: 2,115th Most Secular: 2,410th Most Developed: 2,530th
World Factbook Entry

Welcome to The Confederacy of Free Nations! | Founded 26 October 2016 | Featured 24 January 2017


| LinkCOFN Discord | LinkCOFN Forums | Government | Constitution | Law Code | Citizenship |

Heritage Regions
Next Generation Alliance | 4 July 2013 ~ 14 January 2014 | 28 April ~ 26 July 2016 |
Commonwealth of Free Nations | 14 January 2014 ~ 28 April 2016 |
Most Serene Republic of Montaris | 26 July ~ 26 October 2016 |

>>ANNOUNCEMENTS<<
  • Long Live Eternal Delegate Penguania and Antarctica since 10 March 2017

  • The July 2020 Regional Elections have now concluded. Congratulations to all the victors!


>>REGIONAL ACTIVITIES<<


>>BONUS PROGRAMMES<<



  1. 2

    CoFN Law Code

    FactbookLegislation by CoFN Office of the Speaker . 500 reads.

  2. 1

    The Constitution

    FactbookPolitics by CoFN Office of the Speaker . 616 reads.

  3. 3

    Citizenship Application and Roster

    FactbookLegislation by Cofn office of the consulship . 140 reads.

  4. 1

    CoFN July - November 2020 Term

    BulletinNews by Cofn office of the consulship . 6 reads.

  5. 626

    Keeping NationStates Safe: A Campaign Against Harassment

    BulletinCampaign by New ex patria . 6,220 reads.

▼ 2 More

Embassies: Genuan Rebirth, Avadam Inn, The Coalition of Democratic Nations, New Hyperion, The Region That Has No Big Banks, The Universal Allegiance, Commonwealth of Liberty, Domicilium, Union of Free Nations, International Debating Area, Union of Saxon Justice, Zentari, Capitalist Paradise, Free Market Federation, The Great Universe, The Exalted Lands, and 13 others.World Conference, The LCRUA, Regionless, The Ocean States, Union of Allied States, RHINIA, Driselbia, Cyland, Libertatem, Union of Christian Nations, Katzen, free land, and Liberty Democratic Alliance.

Tags: Casual, Conservative, Democratic, Eco-Friendly, Featured, Game Player, General Assembly, LGBT, Liberal, Libertarian, Map, Medium, and 12 others.Modern Tech, Multi-Species, Neutral, Offsite Chat, Offsite Forums, Pacifist, Regional Government, Role Player, Silly, Social, Video Game, and World Assembly.

Regional Power: High

The Confederacy of Free Nations contains 48 nations, the 449th most in the world.

ActivityHistoryRankAdministration

Today's World Census Report

The Largest Mining Sector in The Confederacy of Free Nations

World Census experts measured the volume of stuff removed from the ground to determine which nations have the largest mining industries.

As a region, The Confederacy of Free Nations is ranked 13,075th in the world for Largest Mining Sector.

NationWA CategoryMotto
1.The Dystopian Nightmare Horde of SpanelskoFather Knows Best State“You Can't Stop Chaos”
2.The Nomadic Peoples of The Nuclear Piano SalesmenCapitalizt“WANT TO BUY A NUCLEAR PIANO?!?”
3.The Federated Republics of Chernarus StateMoralistic Democracy“Anavestvo, chestota, veyat”
4.The Empire of The New Dalek SovereigntyCorporate Police State“We must restore Dalek Supremacy!”
5.The Federation of Confederate-Union AllianceInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Peace through superior firepower”
6.The Republic of DeicksamendMoralistic Democracy“Might Makes Right”
7.The Absolute Nuthouse of The Cross and Davids StarInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Naptime’s over, back to fun.”
8.The United States of McCarthyismmMoralistic Democracy“Freedom Is Not Free.”
9.The Protectorate of The Dalek Paradigm Fourth EmbassyLiberal Democratic Socialists“N/A”
10.The Protectorate of The Dalek Paradigm Fifth EmbassyLiberal Democratic Socialists“N/A”
12345»

Regional Happenings

More...

The Confederacy of Free Nations Regional Message Board

Messages from regional members are co-ordinated here.

LodgedFromMessages


The Tsardom of Nuremgard

It is with great pride and pleasure that we announce Her Imperial Majesty the Tsaritsa was safely delivered of a healthy set of twins today, a girl and a boy, born two minutes apart. Both children shall henceforth be granted the dignity and style of Grand Princess and Grand Prince as befitting their station as children of the Tsar.

The children have been named Tatiana Stefanova and Nikolai Stefanovich. Her Imperial Majesty is in good health and high spirits. Both she and the Tsar are overwhelmed with joy at the new additions to the Imperial Family.

Long live the Tsar!

The United Kingdom of Penguania and Antarctica

Nuremgard wrote:It is with great pride and pleasure that we announce Her Imperial Majesty the Tsaritsa was safely delivered of a healthy set of twins today, a girl and a boy, born two minutes apart. Both children shall henceforth be granted the dignity and style of Grand Princess and Grand Prince as befitting their station as children of the Tsar.

The children have been named Tatiana Stefanova and Nikolai Stefanovich. Her Imperial Majesty is in good health and high spirits. Both she and the Tsar are overwhelmed with joy at the new additions to the Imperial Family.

Long live the Tsar!

We send our best wishes and good health to the Tsaritsa, the Grand Princess and the Grand Prince. May their path always be guided by the light of the stars and may the future bestow upon them all the happiness and adventures our world has to offer.

On behalf of the Royal Family and the people of Penguania and Antarctica

Frida Stølström
Ambassadress to the Tsardom of Nuremgard

The Monarchical Republic of Lavan Tiri

Nuremgard wrote:It is with great pride and pleasure that we announce Her Imperial Majesty the Tsaritsa was safely delivered of a healthy set of twins today, a girl and a boy, born two minutes apart. Both children shall henceforth be granted the dignity and style of Grand Princess and Grand Prince as befitting their station as children of the Tsar.

The children have been named Tatiana Stefanova and Nikolai Stefanovich. Her Imperial Majesty is in good health and high spirits. Both she and the Tsar are overwhelmed with joy at the new additions to the Imperial Family.

Long live the Tsar!

The Queen and the Republic offer their congratulations and well-wishes to the Tsar and Tsarita, as well as their children and the people of Nuremgard. May the lives of the twins be full of calm seas and warm sunshine.
~Ambassador Rafael el Bashir, Grand Envoy of the Republic to the Tsardom of Nuremgard

The Socialist Imperial Republics of Midasia

Hello everyone, I hope you're all well.

I'm thinking about restructuring my government, and I have some questions regarding legislatures.
Are three-year parliamentary terms too short? What is a better length? Do you think term limits for the premiership would work in a parliamentary system? Are upper houses worth having? In an MMP Parliament, like those in New Zealand and Germany, what is a good ratio between Electorate and List/party seats? Bouncing off of that, are there any legislatures where there are two types of members with differing titles based on how they were elected but are otherwise equal? With that, I have two titles I want to run by you guys, Governess and Vicereine (I chose the 'feminine' forms purposefully). If in a duo parliament, Governess would be used for members representing electorates, and Vicereine would be used for list/party members. What are your thoughts? Finally, which name for a district/electorate do you like more, commune or domain?

And one last question regarding the judiciary. What is the best way to, or how do you, structure a supreme court?

I appreciate your feedback.

The Dystopian Nightmare Horde of Spanelsko

Midasia wrote:How do I government?

Abolish all human rights, establish dictatorship under 1 great man/women and give people no trials, as all judges should just listen to you anyway - Iberian way

The Tsardom of Nuremgard

Midasia wrote:Hello everyone, I hope you're all well.

I'm thinking about restructuring my government, and I have some questions regarding legislatures.
Are three-year parliamentary terms too short? What is a better length? Do you think term limits for the premiership would work in a parliamentary system? Are upper houses worth having? In an MMP Parliament, like those in New Zealand and Germany, what is a good ratio between Electorate and List/party seats? Bouncing off of that, are there any legislatures where there are two types of members with differing titles based on how they were elected but are otherwise equal? With that, I have two titles I want to run by you guys, Governess and Vicereine (I chose the 'feminine' forms purposefully). If in a duo parliament, Governess would be used for members representing electorates, and Vicereine would be used for list/party members. What are your thoughts? Finally, which name for a district/electorate do you like more, commune or domain?

And one last question regarding the judiciary. What is the best way to, or how do you, structure a supreme court?

I appreciate your feedback.

In regards to parliamentary terms, before the Fixed Terms Parliament Act passed in the UK to make it 5 years, a regular term of parliament typically lasted 4 years so I would go with that. I think 3 is too short but I think 5 is a little too long.

I don't know how other parliamentary systems work around the world but here in the UK there are no term limits on how many times a prime minister can be elected. I think term limits are more a characteristic of presidencies. Ultimately I think its up to voters. If they want to keep electing the same prime minister and that person commands the confidence of the parliament, I see no reason why they should be compelled to step down because of arbitrary term limits.

I would say an upper house is worth having if your country has a big population. Although then you need to figure out how much power the upper house has. Does it hold equal power to the lower house? Can the lower house override the upper as the Commons does the Lords in the UK?

What do you mean by electorates and list/party members? Wouldn't both a Governess and Viceriene represent voters? Here in Scotland, every person is represented by one constituency MSP who is voted in using First Past the Post and also by 8 regional MSPs who are elected through a list seat using a PR system. The only distinction is one is called a constituency MSP and the others are called list MSPs. Both have equal standing but many sneer at list MSPs for not being able to get elected on their own merit, instead being elected because the party put them there.

I personally prefer domain to commune.

The Supreme Court is a tough one. I would say maybe 6 or 7 judges who earn their position through their legal expertise rather than being elected or appointed. They should serve for a limited time instead of it being a life appointment.

The United Kingdom of Penguania and Antarctica

Midasia wrote:Hello everyone, I hope you're all well.

I'm thinking about restructuring my government, and I have some questions regarding legislatures.
Are three-year parliamentary terms too short? What is a better length? Do you think term limits for the premiership would work in a parliamentary system? Are upper houses worth having? In an MMP Parliament, like those in New Zealand and Germany, what is a good ratio between Electorate and List/party seats? Bouncing off of that, are there any legislatures where there are two types of members with differing titles based on how they were elected but are otherwise equal? With that, I have two titles I want to run by you guys, Governess and Vicereine (I chose the 'feminine' forms purposefully). If in a duo parliament, Governess would be used for members representing electorates, and Vicereine would be used for list/party members. What are your thoughts? Finally, which name for a district/electorate do you like more, commune or domain?

And one last question regarding the judiciary. What is the best way to, or how do you, structure a supreme court?

I appreciate your feedback.

Term length: 4 or 5 years. 3years seem to short to do proper politics without being in a state of constant campaigning

Term limit: Well, it makes sense in a presidential system to limit the terms of the president. In a parliamentary system were head of state and head of government are separate offices it's not common. However I would make it depend on how the person is elected. Elected by the people should always have a term limit. Elected by parliament not necessary.

Upper house: Well depends on the structure of your nation. In a centralised nation (like France) there is no need for an upper house. In a federal structured nation (like Germany) it makes more sense to have an upper house that represents the states so they are included in the legislative process that concern matters of state affairs.

MMP parliament: Speaking from a German perspective half of the seats in parliament are directly elected and the other half is filled with party list seats. Tho it regularly happens that more people are elected directly than seats are allocated for the party through the second vote. For this there are so called overhang seats and levelling seats. It's quite complicated. But it ensures that the parties are represented proportionally. Otherwise the result would deviate from the election result. But that also results in a the parliament getting bigger than originally planned. (e.g. Germany there are normally 598 seats but due to overhang and levelling seats there are currently 709 seats)

Titles of MPs: Again speaking from a German perspective there is no different style of addressing a member of parliament. They are all MdB (Mitglied des Bundestages = Member of the Federal Diet). And as far as I know the general public doesn't care if the person got voted in through a direct vote or party list. It also happens that a person vacates their mandate and another party list member is succeeding that person even if that original MP was elected directly. Happens quite a lot.

Name for electorate: I would prefer domain.

Supreme court: And again speaking from a German perspective. The German supreme court consists of two senates each having 8 judges so 16 judges in total. The judges are elected by the upper and lower house of parliament. The law says that each senate must have 3 judges that served at least 3 years each on other federal high courts. The judges must be 40 years or older and be qualified and experienced to serve that position (all stipulated in detail by the law). They serve one term of 12 years. Serving another term is not allowed, even if it isn't consecutive. The judges get automatically retired when they reach the age of 68.

Hope that gives you some inspiration. :)

The Socialist Imperial Republics of Midasia

Here is what I have so far. What do you think? (I am still thinking about the Judiciary)

The Imperial Parliament of Midasia

The General Commune

The General Commune, domestically known as the Commune or GC, is the Lower House and primary chamber of the Midasian Imperial Parliament. Since 1936, it has met in the Rose Palace on the south end of Valerie Square.

The Commune is an elected body consisting of 383 members known as Governesses. It uses a Mixed-Member Proportional system. 160 Governesses elected using Ranked Choice Voting in domains and 223 list seats. List seats are allocated based on a party’s share of the Total National Party Vote. It is elected every 4 years with election day falling on the 4th Thursday of May.

The Commune is linked to the Executive. The Government of Midasia consists of the Konsul and other Secretaries. In accordance with the principle of responsible government, these individuals are always drawn from the Commune and are held accountable to it. In the event of a motion of no confidence, a 13 day, or 312 hour, clock will begin to countdown. During that time, someone, or some group, must receive the command of the Commune. If that does not happen, the Longest-serving member of the Commune shall become Acting-Konsul either until the next General Election or the next motion of no confidence.

The Empress does not play a role in the legislative process, except in signifying her support of a bill passed by the Commune. The Empress may formally summon and dissolve the General Commune, but due to fixed four-year terms, the date of dissolution may only fall between the 2nd Thursday of April to the 1st of May. If the Empress does not dissolve the Commune during that period, it must dissolve itself.

The Conference of Republics

The Conference of Republics, also known as the Conference, is the Upper House of the Midasian Imperial Parliament. It meets in Union Hall, on the east end of Valerie Square.

The Conference consists of 17 members known as Vicereines. Vicereines are appointed by the Premier of each republic, and the number of Vicereines per Republic is based on population. Currently, la Republica Surena, the largest Republic by population, has 5 Vicereines and La Republica Pacifica, the smallest by population, has 2 Vicereines. Each Vicereine is treated equally and has one vote.

The Conference plays a small role in the legislative process. After the first passage by the Commune, unless it has passed via a ⅗ majority, legislation must be sent to the Conference. It may review and amend legislation, but may not completely reject legislation. After passage, it is sent back to the Commune and must be passed once more before being signed by the Konsul and the Empress. Matters involving National Emergency are not required to be sent to the Conference, however, Declarations of War must be sent to the Conference, regardless of whether it reaches the ⅗ supermajority.

The political makeup of the Conference is affected by changes in power in the Republics, and thus by elections in those Republics. The Vicereines represent the ruling majority or plurality of each of the Popular Communes. As a result, the Conference is a continuous body and has no legislative periods. For organizational reasons, the Conference structures its legislative calendar in years of business, beginning each year on the 2nd Tuesday of June.

Read factbook

The Tsardom of Nuremgard

Midasia wrote:Here is what I have so far. What do you think? (I am still thinking about the Judiciary)

The Imperial Parliament of Midasia

The General Commune

The General Commune, domestically known as the Commune or GC, is the Lower House and primary chamber of the Midasian Imperial Parliament. Since 1936, it has met in the Rose Palace on the south end of Valerie Square.

The Commune is an elected body consisting of 383 members known as Governesses. It uses a Mixed-Member Proportional system. 160 Governesses elected using Ranked Choice Voting in domains and 223 list seats. List seats are allocated based on a party’s share of the Total National Party Vote. It is elected every 4 years with election day falling on the 4th Thursday of May.

The Commune is linked to the Executive. The Government of Midasia consists of the Konsul and other Secretaries. In accordance with the principle of responsible government, these individuals are always drawn from the Commune and are held accountable to it. In the event of a motion of no confidence, a 13 day, or 312 hour, clock will begin to countdown. During that time, someone, or some group, must receive the command of the Commune. If that does not happen, the Longest-serving member of the Commune shall become Acting-Konsul either until the next General Election or the next motion of no confidence.

The Empress does not play a role in the legislative process, except in signifying her support of a bill passed by the Commune. The Empress may formally summon and dissolve the General Commune, but due to fixed four-year terms, the date of dissolution may only fall between the 2nd Thursday of April to the 1st of May. If the Empress does not dissolve the Commune during that period, it must dissolve itself.

The Conference of Republics

The Conference of Republics, also known as the Conference, is the Upper House of the Midasian Imperial Parliament. It meets in Union Hall, on the east end of Valerie Square.

The Conference consists of 17 members known as Vicereines. Vicereines are appointed by the Premier of each republic, and the number of Vicereines per Republic is based on population. Currently, la Republica Surena, the largest Republic by population, has 5 Vicereines and La Republica Pacifica, the smallest by population, has 2 Vicereines. Each Vicereine is treated equally and has one vote.

The Conference plays a small role in the legislative process. After the first passage by the Commune, unless it has passed via a ⅗ majority, legislation must be sent to the Conference. It may review and amend legislation, but may not completely reject legislation. After passage, it is sent back to the Commune and must be passed once more before being signed by the Konsul and the Empress. Matters involving National Emergency are not required to be sent to the Conference, however, Declarations of War must be sent to the Conference, regardless of whether it reaches the ⅗ supermajority.

The political makeup of the Conference is affected by changes in power in the Republics, and thus by elections in those Republics. The Vicereines represent the ruling majority or plurality of each of the Popular Communes. As a result, the Conference is a continuous body and has no legislative periods. For organizational reasons, the Conference structures its legislative calendar in years of business, beginning each year on the 2nd Tuesday of June.

Read factbook

Everything seems to be pretty good so far.



The Dystopian Nightmare Horde of Spanelsko

State Ideology Explained, Totalitarian Anarchism

The nation is split into several regions each acting as their own near independent state, regions are split according to ethnicity inhabiting said land. Each region is referred to as Chaotic Revolutionary Republic, CRR for short. Member states of the Iberian Horde= CRR Ruskovien, CRR Kastelanen, CRR Granaden, CRR Galicien, CRR Catalanin, CRR Norgen, CRR Baltiken, CRR Basque, CRR Octanien, CRR Morraka.
Each CRR elects its own Warlord who runs the overall state as he wants, usually as a military dictatorship. The Population itself elects its regional leaders. All CRR's fall under the "Askana System" otherwise known as the "State Diktat" all CRR's thus belong to a larger administrative group of "Undivided Hordes" essentially a common confederacy of said republics, in case of Spanelsko this confederacy is All of Iberia and its capital Askana but it extends its power over Northern Norway, bordering areas of france and most of Morocco.

Central power over the Confederacy thus falls under the Confederate Capital, in case of Iberia its Askana. From which the Supreme Khan Rules. The Supreme title is given only to those who have proclaimed themselves as Chaotic Empires if the Confederacy does not proclaim itself as a Chaotic Empire then the ruler is known only as the High Khan.
All towns and villages have a special appointed chiefs who act as the main administrative body for most occasions and relay all information to their respective Warlord's.
Chiefs are elected according to the system implemented in their overall region, so they can be state appointed or democratically elected.

Supreme Khan is the highest position within the Order of Chaos, and refusing to listen to his orders usually means death, even for High Khans of other Confederacies.

Supreme Khan and High Khans are elected by the military council of the Warlords, Warlords can also present ideas and options but in each case High Khan or Supreme Khan has the final say on any matter and can enforce any law as long as it doesn't break away from the ideology's final goal.

While the people are ruled in a dictatorship style manner, nearly all is legal within the state, except for rape and unjust murder. These 2 are punished by death by torture.
Some restrictions may be imposed by the High Khans or Supreme Khan. Warlords have similar power in this case but are much weaker then their overlords.

Leadership change can occur only when High Khan or Supreme Khan dies.
HOWEVER certain circumstances can change this, either the leader is unable to lead due to injuries, goes against the ideology, is considered a total moron by the majority of people or if he doesn't answer the call for a duel over the leadership, same in case the Khan losses to the pretender he losses leadership over the state.
Requirements for duel usually are based on ideological zeal, effectiveness of ruler and his overall competence and approval by the people and Warlords.

Askana is considered the Heart of the Chaotic Revolution and thus is considered as the Holy City of the Order of Chaos and its faith.
Other Holy Sites include Lake Baikal, Havana and the Mountains of Northern Norway.
The Chaos Faith and Order of Chaos are 2 separate entities as Order of Chaos is the Ideology and Chaos Faith is the religious aspect of the revolution. However the faith does not need to be practiced as long as the ideology is preserved and expanded.

The final goal of Chaos is to overthrow all world governments and establish ethnically divided regions which will then become the building blocks for new Confederations and Undivided Hordes to form from. This idea is then divided among 2 main prominent branches of TA the united World Initiative of Anarchist regimes ruling over the world in peace and the Crimson Division of Eternal War. Which seeks to eradicate said world governments in order to establish said ethnic regions but splits from its WIA brothers in pursuit of total war once the final goal is achieved. This is then by itself split in 2 branches, the Pure Blood League and the Eternity Council, with the difference being that the Pure bloods believe in total ethnic war until only 1 group remains on the planet as the official master race of humankind. Which will then seek its own annihilation in eternal war which will make Earth utterly Destroyed. Pursuit of Space revolution is allowed as a means of spreading the war to all of Milky Way galaxy. Eternity council only seeks eternal war and galactic expansion for more chaos to occur.

The faith itself has 4 main gods, similar to christian mythology there is Plague, Famine, Death and War which are recognized as the 4 main gods of Chaos, alongside their 3 servants which are demigods of Chaos. The faith itself does lack in most cases an organized central oversight in an institution like manner similar to most religions as wast majority of religious practices remain the same among most groups of the faith, and leadership within said religion is more based on devotion and age as well as time of service by the priests of Chaos. With the High Priests and Inquisitors being the greatest Authority figures within the faith itself. This in turned lead to some groups and towns appointing as their regional leaders members of the Religious Orders instead of more common choices.
The religion is mostly kept the same even with different practices of worship, prayers and rituals with the only splinter faith currently in existence being the Baltic Order of the Dread Sea.
Largely influenced by their lack of contact will their Iberian liberators after the stalemate peace with the Communist Hordes of Greater Russkov Soviet. From available sources this split off group has proclaimed the Outer God of the Deep Sea Autheligus as their patron deity and true main God which all should follow.

Honestly, sometimes even we ourselves have no idea what our system is. Since we technically have freedom to have any form of government within the confederation we could technically have literal nazis border a pacifistic liberal utopia.

edit: we don't even really know who is in charge where. But that's kind of the point with our ideology anyway.

Forum View