The Desolated Plains of Wasteland
Location: Middle East
Regional Influence: Page
The Desolated Plains of Wasteland is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, notable for its rum-swilling pirates, keen interest in outer space, and absence of drug laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, humorless population of 19.123 billion Wastelandians enjoy some of the most opulent lifestyles in the region, unless they are unemployed or working-class, in which case they are variously starving to death or crippled by easily preventable diseases.
The minute, pro-business government, or what there is of one, is solely concerned with Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of The Misty Moor. Income tax is unheard of.
The frighteningly efficient Wastelandian economy, worth a remarkable 3,172 trillion Poisons a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Retail industry, with major contributions from Soda Sales, Information Technology, and Pizza Delivery. Average income is an impressive 165,886 Poisons, but there is a vast disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,527,278 per year while the poor average 1,833, a ratio of 833 to 1.
Homeowners are evicted to make way for new runways, the state pays for care of easily preventable illnesses, most academic research has ground to a halt, and computers have been banned. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. Wasteland's national animal is the Dead Fish, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to heavy metals seepage into national waterways.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Wasteland was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Zombified and Most Dead.
- : Wasteland was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Survivors and Most Zombies and the Top 10% for Most Dead.
- : Wasteland's influence in Middle East rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Wasteland was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth and the Top 10% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- : Wasteland was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Incomes.
- : Wasteland's influence in Middle East rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Wasteland's influence in Middle East rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Wasteland's influence in Middle East rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Wasteland's influence in Middle East rose from "Zero" to "Nipper".
- : Wasteland altered its national flag.