The Most Serene Republic of Verdaussen
|Category: Iron Fist Consumerists|
Location: The Unknown Abyss
Regional Influence: Dealmaker
The Most Serene Republic of Verdaussen is a huge, cultured nation, renowned for its compulsory military service, frequent executions, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 357 million Verdaussenians are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The large, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Administration, and Defense. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 51.3%.
The very strong Verdaussenian economy, worth 25.5 trillion rupees a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, Door-to-door Insurance Sales, and Automobile Manufacturing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 71,395 rupees, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 269,849 per year while the poor average 13,142, a ratio of 20.5 to 1.
Maintaining economic growth is no laughing matter, the police double as repo men, Brancalandian Brie isn't available anywhere in Verdaussen, and it is mandatory to learn evolution in schools. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Verdaussen's national animal is the wolf, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Verdaussen's influence in The Unknown Abyss rose from "Instigator" to "Dealmaker".
- : Verdaussen voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn Quebecshire".
- : Verdaussen voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Protecting Convicted Voters".
- : Following new legislation in Verdaussen, it is mandatory to learn evolution in schools.
- : Following new legislation in Verdaussen, Brancalandian Brie isn't available anywhere in Verdaussen.
- : Following new legislation in Verdaussen, the police double as repo men.
- : Following new legislation in Verdaussen, maintaining economic growth is no laughing matter.
- : Following new legislation in Verdaussen, young children are regularly seen wagering pocket money at blackjack tables.
- : Verdaussen was reclassified from "Psychotic Dictatorship" to "Iron Fist Consumerists".
- : Following new legislation in Verdaussen, the government advises foreign diplomats to speak softly and carry a big bag of cash.
Endorsements Received: None.