The Senate and People of The Byrdlands
“Between everything, there is freedom.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Vassal
The Senate and People of The Byrdlands is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Joseph Hunt with a fair hand, and renowned for its public floggings, vat-grown people, and frequent executions. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic population of 4.747 billion Byrdlanders enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The medium-sized, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Relinski. The average income tax rate is 50.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The all-consuming Byrdish economy, worth 389 trillion pounds a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Basket Weaving, Trout Farming, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 82,035 pounds, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Laser-wielding robots are taking aim at human hearts, discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is illegal, the television adaptation of Jennifer Government is the most popular program in the nation, and clergy never mention brand names for fear of losing their government subsidies. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. The Byrdlands's national animal is the grand eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Aamalyism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Byrdlands resigned from the World Assembly.
- : The Byrdlands voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Fair Treatment of Prisoners".
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Foral Kingdom of Hatstheput.
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Federal Republic of Montecaro.
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Grand Duchy of Whitmarche.
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Federal Republic of New Sebronia.
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Empire of Gadorien.
- : The Byrdlands was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Conglomerado Corporativo of Prybourne.
- : The Byrdlands was endorsed by The Commonwealth of Fallooplesburg.