The Republic of Reathwood
“To shield and shrithe”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Location: The Western Isles
Regional Influence: Shoeshiner
The Republic of Reathwood is a huge, safe nation, notable for its compulsory military service, ubiquitous missile silos, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-working, democratic population of 427 million Reathwooders enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The medium-sized, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Defense. The average income tax rate is 23.0%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The strong Reathwood economy, worth 25.4 trillion shillings a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Gambling, Trout Farming, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 59,601 shillings, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.3 times as much as the poorest.
Politicians tend to jump ship to whichever party is currently leading in the polls, the aims of top-secret Reathwood science projects revolve around designing the perfect robot woman, social networking sites have discussion groups devoted to planning terrorist attacks, and criminals rejoice in the streets as the entire police force is sent away on a training retreat. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown. Reathwood's national animal is the golden drake, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Reathwood voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Fairness in Collective Bargaining"".
- : Reathwood voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn Lily".
- : Reathwood voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Supporting People with Disabilities".
- : Reathwood voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Commend Northern Borland"".
- : Reathwood voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Whistleblower Protection Act".
- : Reathwood was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Influential.
- : Reathwood voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Liberate The Embassy".
- : Reathwood lodged a message on the The Western Isles Regional Message Board.
- : Reathwood was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments.
- : Reathwood voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Right To Secure Digital Communication".