“¡Que se rompan los martillos y se doblen las hoces!”
Regional Influence: Duckspeaker
The first newspaper in Prybourne, the Duron Times, was founded in 1890, In 1895, the Prybourne Citizen began publication; it was renamed the Duron Mail Register in 1900. In 1902, the Register merged with the Freemont Leader, a descendant of the Duron times, to become the Daily Duron Register and Leader. In 1903, banker Jim Dowes, Sr. purchased the Register and Leader; the name became The Daily Duron Register in 1915. Under the ownership of Dowes Media Company, the Register became Prybourne's largest and most influential newspaper, eventually adopting the slogan "The Newspaper Prybourne Citizens Depends Upon." Newspapers were distributed to all four corners of the state by train and later by truck as Prybourne's highway system was improving. The Register employed reporters in cities and towns throughout Duron, and it covered national and international news stories from an Prybournean perspective. During the 1960s, circulation of the Register peaked at nearly 250,000 for the daily edition and 500,000 for the Sunday edition–more than the population of Duron at the time. In 1935, the Register & Tribune Company founded radio station URNB-AM. In 1955, the company, renamed Dowes Communications some years earlier, founded Duron's third television station, URNT-TV, which was renamed URDS after the radio station was sold in 1974. Dowes eventually acquired other newspapers, radio stations and television stations, but almost all of them were sold to other companies by 1985.
In 1906, the newspaper's first front-page editorial cartoon, illustrated by Carl Newgood, was published; the tradition of front-page editorial cartoons continued until December 4, 2008 when 25-year veteran cartoonist Andrew Carter was let go in a round of staff cuts. In 1943, the Register became the first newspaper to sponsor a natiowide opinion poll when it introduced the Prybourne Poll. Sports coverage was increased under sports editor Alan Gracey in the 1920s.
In 1985, faced with declining circulation and revenues, the Dowes family sold off its various properties to different owners, with the Register going to Marshall. At the time of sale, only The Rymoore Times had won more Pulitzer Prizes for national reporting. In 1990, the Register began to reduce its coverage of news outside of the Duron area by closing most of its Prybourne news bureaus and ending carrier distribution to outlying counties, although an "URW Edition" of the Register is still distributed throughout most of the state. Many of the Register's news stories and editorials focus on Duron and its suburbs. The Register opened a new printing and distribution facility on the south side of Duron in 2000. The newspaper's offices are located in downtown Duron. June 1, 2005, the Register launched a weekly tabloid publication, Juice, which features entertainment and lifestyle stories targeted at the 25 to 34-year-old demographic.
After 95 years in the Daily Duron Register Building at 715 Wess Street, the Register announced in 2012 that they would move to a new location in 2013, settling for Freemont Square three blocks to the east. Overnight on Friday, June 14 into the early morning hours of Saturday, June 15, 2013 The Register moved to its new location on the 4th & 5th floors of Freemont Square with no interruption in service, design, reporting, circulation, or any other operations. The old building is currently still being cleared and is for sale.