The Free Land of Playing With Fires
“Burn them all!”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Free Land of Playing With Fires is a colossal, efficient nation, notable for its irreverence towards religion, complete absence of social welfare, and exploding hoverboards. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 8.433 billion Playing With Firesians are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The tiny, pro-business, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Defense, and Public Transport. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 7.5%.
The thriving Playing With Firesian economy, worth 429 trillion fires a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is fairly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Uranium Mining, and Information Technology. Average income is 50,885 fires, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 222,501 per year while the poor average 7,341, a ratio of 30.3 to 1.
Calling dibs is an unalienable right, Leader has been seen stealthily slicing fifths off bread loaves, many feel that the government's ban on cars to combat reckless driving was "a tad excessive", and murderers frequently escape punishment by claiming they were protecting their honour. Crime, especially youth-related, is a major problem, probably because of the absence of a police force. Playing With Fires's national animal is the Phoenix, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Playing With Fires was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments.
- : Playing With Fires was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- : Playing With Fires's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Minnow".
- : Playing With Fires was refounded in Balder.
- : Playing With Fires ceased to exist in Balder.
- : Playing With Fires's influence in Balder rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Playing With Fires's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Playing With Fires's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Playing With Fires's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Playing With Fires's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".