The Holy Empire of Otter Isle
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Location: the Rejected Realms
Regional Influence: Nipper
The Holy Empire of Otter Isle is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Grand Otter Yates with a fair hand, and remarkable for its daily referendums, aversion to nipples, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, devout population of 10.423 billion Otter Isleans enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Healthcare, Education, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Otteropolis. The average income tax rate is 67.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Otter Islean economy, worth 711 trillion pebbles a year, is quite specialized and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Book Publishing, and Tourism. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 68,277 pebbles, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Male friends are often accompanied by a female relative in order to prove their 'straightness', the government has pinkie-promised never to use its veto power except in an emergency, viewers get headaches from trying to read the screen full of small print warnings that precede most TV shows, and a rusted hulk in Otteropolis harbour has been voted the worst eyesore in the Rejected Realms. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Otter Isle's national animal is the Otter, which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans, and its national religion is Christianity.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Otter Isle was endorsed by The Communist Easter Egg Kingdom of Fauzjhia.
- : Otter Isle was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans.
- : Otter Isle was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Otter Isle was endorsed by The Nomadic Peoples of Gibralistan.
- : Otter Isle was endorsed by The Empire of Aandruzognivia.
- : Otter Isle's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Otter Isle's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Otter Isle's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Otter Isle was endorsed by The TRR Dictator of New Anarchisticstan.
- : Otter Isle was endorsed by The Counter-Caterpillar Citadel of Minskiev.