The Commonwealth of Mendevia
“Dum spiro spero”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Location: Union of Christian Nations
Regional Influence: Instigator
The Commonwealth of Mendevia is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Archon with a fair hand, and remarkable for its rum-swilling pirates, museums and concert halls, and smutty television. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 27.649 billion Mendevians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The medium-sized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Education, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Tharkad. The average income tax rate is 78.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Mendevian economy, worth a remarkable 4,382 trillion Mendevian Dollars a year, is quite specialized and led by the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Tourism, and Arms Manufacturing. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 158,489 Mendevian Dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Banana distribution among collective farm workers is an important topic in public discourse, the Mendevian Intelligence Agency relies on internet search engines to know what is happening overseas, Max Barry is this year's Miss Mendevia, and it is believed that belligerence is a passing phase foreign leaders will soon outgrow. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Mendevia's national animal is the Mendevian Tiger, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is The Episcopal Church.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Mendevia, it is believed that belligerence is a passing phase foreign leaders will soon outgrow.
- : Mendevia voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Freedom Of Association".
- : Following new legislation in Mendevia, Max Barry is this year's Miss Mendevia.
- : Following new legislation in Mendevia, the Mendevian Intelligence Agency relies on internet search engines to know what is happening overseas.
- : Mendevia lodged a message on the Union of Christian Nations Regional Message Board.
- : Following new legislation in Mendevia, banana distribution among collective farm workers is an important topic in public discourse.
- : Mendevia was endorsed by The Philosophical Community of Eluney.
- : Mendevia was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Advanced Law Enforcement.
- : Mendevia voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Honeydewistania".
- : Mendevia voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Voting Equality for Freed Inmates"".