The Free Land of Ferndum
“Plants are pretty great tbh”
|Category: Left-wing Utopia|
Regional Influence: Squire
The Free Land of Ferndum is a huge, cultured nation, remarkable for its state-planned economy, absence of drug laws, and stringent health and safety legislation. The compassionate, democratic population of 377 million Ferndumians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The large, liberal, socially-minded, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of A Very Large Fern. The average income tax rate is 38.2%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but sluggish Ferndumian economy, worth 6.21 trillion Ferns a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Information Technology, Trout Farming, Gambling, and Basket Weaving. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 16,467 Ferns, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Ambitious "businessmen" use their children to sell and advertise their products, debates on whether toilet seats should be left up or down are increasingly commonplace, artists are pillars of society, and the nation is known abroad mostly for its Parliamentary antics. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown. Ferndum's national animal is the Caterpiller, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Ferndum, the nation is known abroad mostly for its Parliamentary antics.
- : Ferndum's influence in Shinka rose from "Zero" to "Squire".
- : Ferndum relocated from The South Pacific to Shinka.
- : Ferndum relocated from The Rejected Realms to The South Pacific.
- : Ferndum's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Ferndum resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Ferndum voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Frieden-und Freudenland".
- : Ferndum voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Freedom to Seek Medical Care II"".
- : Following new legislation in Ferndum, artists are pillars of society.
- : Ferndum relocated from South Pacific to The Rejected Realms.