The Sanctuary of Elysian Pastures
“Disce Quasi Semper Victurus: Vive Quasi Cras Moriturus”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Location: the South Pacific
Regional Influence: Nipper
The Sanctuary of Elysian Pastures is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by Lady Elaine Elysium with a fair hand, and renowned for its punitive income tax rates, restrictive gun laws, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, devout population of 5.082 billion Elysian Pasturians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Lemon Tree Villa. The average income tax rate is 74.7%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The thriving Elysian Pasturesian economy, worth 407 trillion Shiny Things a year, is quite specialized and mostly made up of the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Information Technology, and Trout Farming. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 80,218 Shiny Things, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.5 times as much as the poorest.
The Elysian Pastures Enquirer offers weekly cash prizes for 'most blasphemous song, story, or cartoon', the nation's gigantic air force is both respected and feared, a third of Elysian Pasturians are e-certified CEOs, and private pharmacies close down as medicinal drugs are given away freely by the government. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Elysian Pastures's national animal is the Otter, which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans, and its national religion is *shrugs*.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Elysian Pastures's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Nipper".
- : Elysian Pastures applied to join the World Assembly.
- : Elysian Pastures relocated from Lazarus to The South Pacific.
- : Elysian Pastures's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Elysian Pastures was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Elysian Pastures ceased to exist in The South Pacific.
- : Elysian Pastures was endorsed by The Himalayan Field Rat Paradise of Gonrati.
- : Elysian Pastures was endorsed by The PRARIE FOR CULTURE of MNA 33rd Infantry Regiment.
- : Elysian Pastures was endorsed by The Blue Candy of Imperial Dodo.
- : Elysian Pastures was endorsed by The Republic of New Belgrade.