The Commonwealth of East Isles
“Libera te tutemet, ex inferis”
|Category: Left-wing Utopia|
Location: The North Pacific
Regional Influence: Nipper
The Commonwealth of East Isles is a very large, genial nation, remarkable for its keen interest in outer space, devotion to social welfare, and stringent health and safety legislation. The compassionate, democratic population of 139 million East Islesians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The enormous, liberal government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Administration. The average income tax rate is 72.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The East Islesian economy, worth 7.15 trillion East Isles farthings a year, is led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Cheese Exports, Information Technology, and Furniture Restoration. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 51,421 East Isles farthings, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Notable individuals are granted land and titles, social media sites prompt users to send birthday greetings to unresponsive nonagenarians, ghost regiments exist only on paper, and the nation's forests are full of treasure hunters in military-grade survival gear. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. East Isles's national animal is the pygmy loris, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in East Isles, the nation's forests are full of treasure hunters in military-grade survival gear.
- : Following new legislation in East Isles, ghost regiments exist only on paper.
- : Following new legislation in East Isles, social media sites prompt users to send birthday greetings to unresponsive nonagenarians.
- : Following new legislation in East Isles, notable individuals are granted land and titles.
- : East Isles was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending and the Top 10% for Most Income Equality and Most Cheerful Citizens.
- : East Isles resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Following new legislation in East Isles, passionate nomination battles are often as intense as general elections.
- : Following new legislation in East Isles, board shorts have replaced board rooms.
- : East Isles was endorsed by The E-Democracy of The Rhein States.
- : East Isles was endorsed by The United Provinces of Aeolist.