The Protectorate of Barquians
|Category: Right-wing Utopia|
Regional Influence: Shoeshiner
The Protectorate of Barquians is a huge, efficient nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service. The hard-working population of 382 million Barquiansians are free to succeed or fail in life on their own merits; the successful tend to enjoy an opulent (but moralistic) lifestyle, while the failures can be seen crowding out most jails.
The relatively small, moralistic, pro-business government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Spirituality. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 8.9%.
The very strong Barquiansian economy, worth 24.6 trillion Hratios a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Door-to-door Insurance Sales industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Information Technology, and Woodchip Exports. Average income is 64,374 Hratios, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 196,650 per year while the poor average 16,333, a ratio of 12.0 to 1.
Crime is moderate, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Barquians's national animal is the Herron, which can occasionally be seen sifting through garbage in the nation's cities.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Barquians's influence in Nintendo rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Barquians's influence in Nintendo rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Barquians's influence in Nintendo rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Barquians's influence in Nintendo rose from "Zero" to "Nipper".
- : Barquians relocated from Gypsy Lands to Nintendo.
- : Barquians relocated from The North Pacific to Gypsy Lands.
- : Barquians was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Insurance Industry.
- : Barquians's influence in The North Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Barquians was founded in The North Pacific.