The Community of Astamia
“Alone we are nothing, together we are strong”
|Category: Corrupt Dictatorship|
Location: the South Pacific
Regional Influence: Sprat
The Community of Astamia is a huge, orderly nation, remarkable for its irreverence towards religion, punitive income tax rates, and stringent health and safety legislation. The compassionate, cynical population of 515 million Astamians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded, well-organized morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 74.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but underdeveloped Astamian economy, worth 13.3 trillion Floras a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is led by the Retail industry, with major contributions from Cheese Exports, Basket Weaving, and Furniture Restoration. Average income is 25,795 Floras, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Fake designer clothes are shredded and burnt while many in the world don't have a shirt on their back, foreign policy is to avoid standing up to bullies, citizens re-mortgage their homes to buy lottery tickets, and the government is well known for declaring war on other countries for suspected slights. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Astamia's national animal is the Frog, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Astamia was endorsed by The Holy Empire of Ipugao.
- : Astamia was endorsed by The Republic of Haure Cornaia.
- : Following new legislation in Astamia, the government is well known for declaring war on other countries for suspected slights.
- : Following new legislation in Astamia, citizens re-mortgage their homes to buy lottery tickets.
- : Following new legislation in Astamia, foreign policy is to avoid standing up to bullies.
- : Following new legislation in Astamia, fake designer clothes are shredded and burnt while many in the world don't have a shirt on their back.
- : Astamia was endorsed by The Democratic States of Anatasha.
- : Astamia was endorsed by The Himalayan Field Rat Paradise of Gonrati.
- : Astamia was endorsed by The PRARIE FOR CULTURE of MNA 33rd Infantry Regiment.
- : Astamia was endorsed by The Republic of New Belgrade.
Endorsements Received: 51 » Volaworand, Tepertopia, Qvait, PenguinPies, Amerion, Marinho Islands, Corgitopiaa, Aidenfieeld, Phanama, Bawkie, Bleakfoot, Nowa Europa, Treir, Aumeltopia, Wehraboos, 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121, Erinor, Wallechi, Rebel-topia, Scu Greinne, Belschaft, Auphelia, Farengeto, Zataras, Purple Hyacinth, Holota, Canmore, Qawe, Kandorith, The Altan, Seythennia, Death to democracy, Beepee, Conexia, Concrete Slab, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Ebonhand, Sandaoguo, Bichedder, Holy Free, NIGHTRAY, Eskvenn, Land Without Shrimp, Libedistan, Westenhald, Sedunn, New Belgrade, Gonrati, Anatasha, Haure Cornaia, and 1 other.Ipugao.