The Really Awful Under-Matrix of Appendia
“How did I make everything here so bad!?”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Squire
The Really Awful Under-Matrix of Appendia is a massive, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by King Friend Benjamin Turkey-Quail with a fair hand, and remarkable for its ban on automobiles, complete lack of prisons, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless, devout population of 1.094 billion Human Friends enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — prioritizes Education, although Environment, Spirituality, and Administration are also considered important, while Defense and Welfare aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. The average income tax rate is 73.7%.
The strong Human Friend economy, worth 53.4 trillion Friendships a year, is highly specialized and led by the Basket Weaving industry, with significant contributions from Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Retail, and Cheese Exports. Black market activity is notable. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 48,849 Friendships, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.4 times as much as the poorest.
There's more vermin than ever on the metro, nervous homeowners have been blamed for rising death rates amongst carol singers and locksmiths, the nation's countrysides are littered with landmines due to ongoing family disputes, and homosexuality has been banned to prevent the spread of homosexuality. Crime, especially youth-related, is moderate, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Appendia's national animal is the Turkey-Quail, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, homosexuality has been banned to prevent the spread of homosexuality.
- : Appendia voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Sovereign Justice Accord".
- : Appendia voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn Ever-Wandering Souls".
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, the nation's countrysides are littered with landmines due to ongoing family disputes.
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, nervous homeowners have been blamed for rising death rates amongst carol singers and locksmiths.
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, there's more vermin than ever on the metro.
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, genetic researchers have been expelled.
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, the tenet of free speech is held dear.
- : Appendia voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Pedagogical Freedom".
- : Following new legislation in Appendia, citizens are expected to be armed at all times.
Endorsements Received: 46 » Turbeaux, Krisylia, Candlewhisper Archive, Awhaiti Kaiatu, Lura, Ashrah, Ruinenlust, Ransium, Frieden-und Freudenland, Verdant Haven, Cat-Herders United, The Void Territories, Kinectia, Window Land, Canaltia, Taco Respublic, The Black Forrest, Blon Gre, Vanenia, Kawastyselir, Tur Ada, Eryndlynd, Aeterno Tranquillitas, Novian Republics, Feladria, Eaven, Artemis, Crowacia, Forgotten Beauty, Entitize, Edible Plywood, Ordand, Ziotah and Riverside, Bregaria, Caterasia, Hyon Delta, Ironic Remarks, Chilledsville, Effazio, Greyveldt, Anachronolandia, Atsvea, Talgarth, Jutsa, Pythaga, and New Ladavia.